Specialising in beautiful stationery from independent suppliers, The Journal Shop is an eCommerce business with an extensive product offering of stylish, high-quality office supplies.
We were tasked with migrating The Journal Shop’s eCommerce website from Magento to Shopify, developing an improved user experience to showcase their extensive product catalogue, and creating a chic and minimal visual identity in keeping with their brand guidelines.
Their existing website was slow-loading on both the front end and the back end, and had an illogical user flow that made it difficult to locate products. The website functionality, UX and visual design were all in need of an overhaul to better facilitate eCommerce conversions.
First things first, we needed to understand the pain points on The Journal Shop’s existing website.
We systematically reviewed the Magento website and explored The Journal Shop’s extensive product catalogue to map out any issues and give us a clear idea of a direction to take for the Shopify website. Our objectives were:
- Build a fast-loading Shopify site with a simplified user flow to improve the overall purchasing experience and increase conversion rates.
- Use minimal design and stylish visuals to better showcase the brand identity, and ensure this is implemented consistently throughout the site.
- Migrate the entire product catalogue and integrate an efficient search and filtering system to make it easier for customers to locate products.
FUNCTIONALITY & UX
Next, we devised a functionality and UX strategy with a focus on reducing bounce rates and increasing conversion.
It needed to be easier for customers to browse The Journal Shop website, locate specific categories and/or products, and make purchases. Every interaction had to provide a logical ‘next step’ in the user journey. We identified the following necessary actions:
- Implement a ‘Mega Menu’ to showcase all of the categories and collections.
- Streamline the search function to allow users to easily locate products.
- Add a ‘Quick Buy’ button on products to increase impulse purchasing.
- Include filtering options on collection pages to help users find specific items.
We created a low-fidelity wireframe using Adobe XD to map out the new website structure and test the improved user flow.
VISUAL DESIGN & SITE BUILD
From strategy to design to a fully functional Shopify 2.0 website.
Our graphics team got to work on developing the visual design for The Journal Shop’s new website. In keeping with their brand guidelines, we implemented chic and minimal fonts, colours and icons to allow their beautiful product imagery to really stand out – and we made sure to execute the design consistently across the entire site.
We built the website within Shopify and migrated the entire product catalogue from the existing Magento website. We redirected the URLS to ensure there were no broken links and integrated 3 Shopify Apps that would boost conversion. We also conducted an SEO review, including keyword research and optimisation recommendations for title tags and meta descriptions to improve search engine ranking.
Once the site was fully functional, we provided The Journal Shop employees with specialist training, walking them through the Shopify process, step by step, so that they could independently manage and grow the site as they wished.
Incentivising repeat custom through a points-based loyalty program.
Providing flexible payment options for customers to encourage conversion.
Building brand trust by displaying customer reviews and product ratings.