Unlock customer loyalty using Klaviyo
Many eCommerce businesses fall into the trap of spending all their time and resources chasing the next shiny new customer and neglecting the goldmine they already have – their existing customer base.
Did you know that acquiring new customers can cost four to five times more than retaining your existing ones? And let us tell you, it’s much easier to encourage customers whose trust you have already earned to buy again rather than starting over.
So, if you’re looking for ways to get more from your hard-earned customer data and keep your existing customers engaged, it’s time to consider improving your store’s post-purchase journey. Luckily, you’re not on your own; plenty of tools exist to help.
Today, we’re exploring one of the top tools for building an effective eCommerce post-purchase journey: Klaviyo. Klaviyo is a popular marketing automation tool many eCommerce businesses leverage to engage their customer base and grow their business.
In this article, we’ll learn more about what Klaviyo is and how it can be used to create a dynamic post-purchase journey. So, stop ghosting your customers after they buy from you and start building a loyal base of engaged customers instead!
What is Klaviyo?
If you’ve not heard of Klaviyo before, let us introduce you. Klaviyo isn’t new to the scene; it’s already being used by over 135,000 companies in over 80 countries!
It’s a marketing automation tool savvy businesses use to deliver hyper-personalised and targeted customer communications by email, SMS, and mobile push. It seamlessly integrates with many eCommerce platforms, including Shopify and WooCommerce, and various other marketing tools to help businesses utilise their data, keep customers engaged, build customer loyalty, and boost business growth. Its rise in popularity is probably partly due to its intuitive and user-friendly interface, which makes it easy for businesses of all sizes and skill levels to implement sophisticated marketing strategies, connect with their customers and grow.
Klaviyo’s key features include:
- Segmentation – Segment your contact list in real-time based on shopping behaviour, order value, demographics, and more and then create highly targeted and personalised communications for each group.
- Automated flows – Set up automated communication sequences like welcome emails or post-purchase messages, which are triggered when customers take a specific action or reach a milestone.
- Campaign tools and pre-built templates – Design, schedule, and monitor one-off or recurring, personalised marketing campaigns.
- Reporting – Access real-time performance metrics, multichannel attribution, and predictive analytics to understand the effectiveness of your marketing efforts and refine your strategy.
- AI – Leverage Klaviyo’s AI and machine-learning tools to forecast customer behaviour, generate SMS content, and write compelling subject lines to save time and work smarter.
- Web forms – Gather rich customer data, capture leads, and convert website visitors using Klaviyo’s custom form builder.
- Benchmarks – Compare your business’s performance to similar businesses and identify areas where there’s room for improvement.
So, in short, Klaviyo is a tool used to craft effective email marketing communications and develop sophisticated customer communication strategies.
How can Klaviyo be used to improve the post-purchase experience?
It’s easy to see why Klaviyo is so popular with eCommerce businesses. If you’ve got oodles of customer data but no idea how to use it effectively, Klaviyo provides a toolkit for easily unlocking your data’s potential.
One of eCommerce businesses’ biggest mistakes is failing to engage with customers post-purchase. Without a post-purchase communication strategy, it’s all too easy for customers to forget about you. After customers have made a purchase, staying in communication with them is important. You’ve worked hard to win this customer over, so don’t ghost them post-purchase!
Klaviyo post-purchase enhancements can be leveraged to significantly enhance your customers’ post-purchase experience, potentially turning one-time buyers into loyal customers through strategic, automated marketing communications.
Rather than sending your customers one-off, sporadic marketing communications, Klaviyo can be used to develop structured, automated communication sequences or flows. Klaviyo offers tools for sending automated email, SMS, and mobile push notifications, allowing you to choose the most suitable communication method for your target demographic or even take a multi-faceted approach.
Many eCommerce businesses start out using Klaviyo email marketing to create email flows. An email flow is a series of pre-designed emails automatically sent to customers based on specific triggers or conditions. Triggers could include signing up for a newsletter, abandoning a shopping cart, or making a purchase.
Post-purchase email flows aim to provide customers with timely and relevant information without requiring manual intervention every time an action occurs. When you set up an email flow using Klaviyo, you can personalise the communication and segment your contact list to tailor the communication to different customer needs and interests. This high level of targeting helps to enhance the customer experience and ultimately drive loyalty and conversions.
What are the different types of post-purchase email?
Now that we understand what email flows are let’s look at the types of emails typically included in a post-purchase email sequence.
- Order confirmation – Sent immediately after a customer makes a purchase to reassure them that the order has been received and is being processed.
- Shipping notification – Informs the customer that their order has been dispatched and provides an estimated delivery date and tracking information.
- Informational email – Depending on the type of product that’s been sold, an informational email may be sent whilst the customer is waiting to receive their order. These emails may contain instructions, a how-to guide, or maintenance advice and can help to enhance customer satisfaction.
- Thank you – A sincere thank you can help to build relationships with customers by letting them know that their custom is valued.
- Customer feedback request – Show customers that their opinions are valued by requesting a review or feedback and gather invaluable insights into how you can improve your products and services.
- Cross-sell/upsell recommendations – Encourage customers to make a repeat purchase by identifying similar or complementary products they may be interested in and suggesting them in a cross-selling email.
- Loyalty program invitation – Send an email introducing new customers to your loyalty program, promoting its benefits, and inviting them to join.
Of course, the types of email included within a post-purchase flow will vary from one eCommerce business to the next depending on various factors, including the type of products being offered, the business model, customer preferences, and overall marketing strategy.
How can improving the post-purchase journey benefit eCommerce businesses?
Your post-purchase journey should keep your business at the forefront of its customers’ minds and enhance customer experience by sending tailored, timely, and relevant communications.
The benefits of investing in the post-purchase experience are far-reaching. Let’s discover how building an exciting post-purchase journey could help boost your eCommerce business.
- Improves customer retention – Customers who feel valued after purchasing are more likely to be satisfied by their shopping experience and stick around rather than explore what competitors offer. Similarly, engaging customers with regular communications makes it easier to forge deeper relationships and improve customer retention with Klaviyo.
- Boosts post-purchase engagement – By communicating with customers regularly post-purchase, you encourage them to become engaged and active participants in your community.
- Minimises customer queries – After a customer has made a purchase, sending order confirmation, dispatch, and delivery communications letting them know the status of their order can help minimise the volume of customer service enquiries your business receives, saving you time and resources and elevating the customer’s experience.
- Encourages repeat purchases – Customers who had a good experience the first time they shopped with you are likelier to return for more. Sending regular, personalised communications post-purchase keeps your brand at the forefront of their minds and can tempt them to shop with you again.
- Builds brand loyalty – Set the stage for long-lasting relationships. Receiving tailored communications post-purchase can help customers develop a stronger emotional connection with your brand and help foster brand loyalty.
- Improves service – When businesses use Klaviyo for customer feedback, it can help them refine and develop their products or services, leading to continuous improvement and growth.
- Drives revenue – Last but not least, fostering engaged and loyal customers can help boost your bottom line by driving more sales and increasing your average customer lifetime value.
As you’ve probably realised by now, refining your post-purchase journey isn’t just about keeping your customers happy; it’s a strategic move that can significantly impact your bottom line.
What eCommerce platforms can Klaviyo be integrated with?
Klaviyo has over 300 pre-built integrations and flexible APIs, making unlocking data from your eCommerce platform and other top marketing tools easy. You can centralise the data from your entire tech stack on Klaviyo!
Pre-built integrations include Shopify, BigCommerce, WooCommerce, Magento Commerce, SalesForce Commerce Cloud, PrestaShop, Recharge, Gorgias, Okendo, ShipStation, LoyaltyLion, and Loop.
Partner with Create8 to build a killer post-purchase customer journey
Need help with Klaviyo eCommerce integration or advice on how to set up Klaviyo post-purchase emails? Or perhaps you’ve already signed up with Klaviyo but need help with Klaviyo email customisation or Klaviyo integration issues? No matter what stage you’re at, Create8 is your go-to partner for building a killer post-purchase customer journey.
Don’t let your existing customers slip through the cracks. Collaborate with our team to integrate Klaviyo automated emails with your eCommerce platform and transform your post-purchase journey. Contact our team today, and we’ll help you build lasting customer relationships and drive business growth through effective, automated email marketing.